At the Zoo
A man was delivering penguins to the zoo when his van broke __(1)__ on the highway. A fellow stopped to see if he could be of assistance. "Oh, I'm in some real trouble here," said the first man "l've got to take these penguins to the zoo today, and now I'm not sure I'll get there."
The helpful fellow volunteered to put the penguins in the back of his car and take them to the zoo. The man with car trouble gratefully __(2)__ this offer and promised to get to the zoo as soon as possible. A little later, the man was on the road again and went immediately to the zoo. He looked everywhere but did not see the helpful fellow or any of the penguins. In a panic, he drove back into town. Just as he was wondering what in the world to do next, he saw the "volunteer" walking across the street with all the penguins wadding along behind him.
He ran up and said, "What are you doing here? I thought you were going to take the penguins to the zoo" and the volunteer replied, "I did, and we had such a good time there; we decided to come into town for ice cream."
Moral: When __(3)__ with volunteers, clear instructions a rd good training is always necessary.
Câu 1: __(1)__
Câu 2: __(2)__
Câu 3: __(3)__
Ever since the publication of The Origin of Species in 1859, evolution has been a source of controversy. In general controversy has __(1)__ on the philosophical, social, and religious implications of evolution, not on the science of evolution itself, the proposition that biological evolution occurs through the mechanism of natural selection is completely uncontested within the scientific community.
As Darwin recognized early __(2)__ , perhaps the most controversial aspect of evolutionary thought is its applicablity to human beings. Specifically, many object to the idea that all diversity in life, including human beings, arose through natural processes without a need for supernatural intervention. Although many religions, such as Catholicism, have reconciled their beliefs with evolution through theistic evolution, creationists object to evolution on the basis that it contradicts their theistic origin beliefs.
In some countries - notably the United States - these tensions between scientific and religious teachings have fueled the ongoing creation-evolution controversy, a social and religious conflict especially focusing on politics and public education. __(3)__ other fields of science, such as cosmology and earth science, also conflict with literal interpretations of many religious texts, evolutionary biology has borne the brunt of these debates
Câu 4: __(1)__
Câu 5: __(2)__
Câu 6: __(3)__
An important __(1)__ in understanding the supply and demand theory is elasticity. In this context, it refers to how supply and demand change in response to various stimuli
One way of defining elasticity is the percentage change in one variable divided by the percentage change in another variable (known as arch elasticity because it calculates the elasticity over a range of values, in contrast __(2)__ point elasticity that uses differential calculus to determine the elasticity at a specific point). Thus it is a measure of relative changes.
Often, it is useful to Into how the quantity supplied or demanded will change when the price changes. This is known as the price elasticity of demand and the price elasticity of supply. If a monopolist decides to increase the price of their product, how will this affect their sales revenue? Will the increased unit price offset the __(3)__ decrease in sales volume?,
Câu 7: __(1)__
Câu 8: __(2)__
Câu 9: __(3)__
Although human migration has existed throughout human history, immigration in the modern __(1)__ refers to movement of people from one nation-state to another. Immigration implies long-term permanent residence (and often, eventual citizenship) by the immigrants: tourists and short-term visitors are not considered immigrants.
However, seasonal labor migration (typically for periods of less than a year) is often __(2)__ os a form of immigration. The global volume of immigration is high in absolute terms, but low in relative terms. The UN estimated 190 million international migrants in 2005, about 3% of global population. The other 97% still live in the state in which they were born, or its successor state
The modern idea of immigration is related to the development of nation-states and nationality law. Citizenship of a nation-state confers an inalienable right of residence in that state, but residence of immigrants is subject to conditions net by immigration law. The nation-state made immigration a political issue: __(3)__ definition it is the homeland of a nation defined by shared ethnicity and/or culture, and in most cases immigrants have a different ethnicity and culture. This has led to social tensions, xenophobia, and conflicts about national identity, in many developed countries